About the Position:
The Lead Coach will play a key role in implementing the eighth season of NYRR Run for the Future. The program is designed to introduce 12th grade high school girls, who have had little to no athletic experience, to the sport of running and the benefits of maintaining an active lifestyle. The Lead Coach will work with the Program Manager to implement the NYRR training program that will help all participants complete a 5K race at the end of the season. The Lead Coach will foster an environment of inclusivity and create strong team cohesion.
- Work with the Program Manager to implement a developmentally appropriate and engaging training plan, with input and review from the NYRR team, that will provide the participants with the skills and lifelong habits needed to incorporate running into their daily lives.
- Attend scheduled meetings and sessions from May 1 – September 7, 2018, including but not limited to:
- Evening staff meetings: beginning in early May 2018 and throughout the program
- Orientation for accepted youth: Saturday in early June 2018
- Practices: July 9 - August 23, 2018, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, from 8:00am—10:00am, 9:00am-11:00am, or 5:30pm – 7:30pm
- Final race: Saturday, August 25, 2018, Percy Sutton Harlem 5K Run
- End of season feedback meeting: early September 2018
- Communicate frequently with the Program Manger via phone, email and office visits. Respond to all correspondence promptly and reply to all requests by the specified deadline.
- Encourage and support dialogue on the importance of goal setting, self-determination, and self-confidence as they apply to both running and the participants’ lives.
- Welcome and include program volunteers, donors, workshop presenters, and guests of NYRR at practices.
- Effectively manage Assistant Coaches and two Student Mentors at each session.
- Ensure that participants are engaging in a safe and positive training environment.
- Foster participants’ enjoyment of the sport and athletics in general.
- Support ongoing RFTF related events and activities as requested
- Perform other tasks as needed.