AIMCo is one of Canada’s largest and most diversified investment managers, with approximately $100 billion of assets under management for 32 clients, a diverse group of Alberta public sector pension plans, endowment funds, and government accounts representing all Albertans. Our culture is defined by our core values: Excellence, Transparency, Humility, Integrity, and Collaboration.
Our success as an organization is as dependent on the growth of our people as it is our investments. We provide opportunity to our employees, embrace talent with new ideas and are committed to a culture of continuous learning.
|Does the opportunity to provide insight and advice on a $40 billion public equity portfolio excite you? Does the opportunity to analyze new instruments and strategies provide you another level of career growth? Do you want to contribute to the financial security of hundreds of thousands of Albertans? If, you have answered yes, the role of Risk Manager, Public Equity might be your next career adventure!
Product Risk Management (PRM) is a department within the Risk Management division. PRM has a dual role. On one hand, PRM supports portfolio managers in optimizing the risks in their products and strategies within established limits by identifying, assessing, monitoring and reporting on both investment and non-investment risks. On the other hand, PRM provides independent oversight on how risks are managed by portfolio managers, providing analysis and advice to the Chief Investment Officer and Chief Risk Officer. PRM is supported by the Investment Risk Analytics (IRA) department, which is responsible for the accurate modelling and the timely measurement and reporting of investment risks.
PRM is organized along the same asset class lines in which the Investments division is organized: Public Equity, Fixed Income, TAA & Total Fund, Infrastructure & Renewable Resources, Real Estate and Private Equity. To reflect the interdependent partnership between Investments and Risk Management, PRMs are co-located with the asset class Investments team and the most senior PRM in each asset class has a dual reporting line (a solid reporting line to the VP, PRM and a dotted reporting line to the head of the asset class within the Investments division).
The Public Equity PRM team consists of the (Senior) Risk Manager who coaches, manages and mentors the team and 1-2 (Senior) Risk Analysts. Public Equity PRM is co-located with AIMCo’s Public Equity asset class in Edmonton.
The Public Equity asset class consists of approximately 30 investment professionals and currently manages approximately $40 billion in net asset value. The Public Equity portfolio includes not only traditional equity strategies but also complex and diverse mix of absolute return strategies. This multi-strategy implementation employs a fair amount of hedging and risk management using derivative instruments. The portfolio risk profile requires a Public Equity PRM team that has not only strong quantitative skills but also experience and knowledge across a broad range of investment strategies and risk types (including market risk, liquidity risk, credit & counterparty risk and mortality risk).
This is an exciting opportunity as the recent introduction of a new risk system provides Public Equity PRM with a solid foundation of portfolio risk analytic capabilities and enables the team to focus on increasing the breadth and depth of portfolio risk advisory to the Public Equity asset class. Part of the challenge for the team will be to understand the risk implications at both the individual strategy level as well as the portfolio level.
Responsibilities will include:
• Developing and maintaining relationships and ongoing dialogue with portfolio managers and the EVP, Public Equities
• Designing and implementing portfolio risk analytics/reporting and monitoring that provides transparency into the asset class’ active risk profile and supports portfolio managers in making risk-informed decisions
• Advising portfolio managers on potential stress events or other emerging risks. Collaborating with portfolio managers and IRA to perform stress & scenario testing
• Performing risk assessments of new or revised instruments, strategies, products and material transactions. This includes highlighting the total portfolio risk implications of asset class initiatives and positioning
• Researching and recommending modeling improvements, in consultation with portfolio managers and IRA, to improve the risk measurement of complex positions and strategies
• Contributing to a culture of risk awareness and transparency
Year one success will be based on the development and implementation of increased portfolio risk advisory to the Public Equity asset class.
|Our Ideal Candidate|
|• Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g. Finance, Economics, Financial Mathematics, Computer Science) with preference given to those holding a Post-graduate degree
• Minimum of 6 years’ relevant asset class experience, ideally as a portfolio or risk manager supplemented by a relevant professional designation (e.g. CFA, FRM, PRM)
• Understanding of financial markets, institutional asset management, trading strategies, investment process and portfolio theory
• Experience and knowledge across a broad range of investment strategies and risk types (including market risk, liquidity risk, credit & counterparty risk and mortality risk)
• Thorough understanding of quantitative risk analysis, including portfolio construction, optimization, risk modeling and simulation
• Experience with investment data and systems (e.g. MSCI Barra, FactSet) and good programming skills (e.g. Python, MATLAB, R, SQL)
• Well developed written and verbal communication skills
• Able to influence senior management and peers, comfortable speaking up and providing counterbalance, while simultaneously maintaining collaborative relationships
• Comfortable taking initiative, quickly grasps new concepts and has determination
• Coaches, manages and mentors a team to new levels of personal and shared success
• Thorough with attention to detail and an ability to prioritize and organize
|NOTE: Final candidates will be asked to undergo a security screening, which includes a credit bureau and a criminal record investigation, the results of which must be acceptable to AIMCo.
For investment highlights and company updates follow AIMCo on LinkedIn.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
For more information visit the Careers Section of AIMCo’s website and follow us on LinkedIn.