AIMCo is one of Canada’s largest and most diversified investment managers, with approximately $100 billion of assets under management for 32 clients, a diverse group of Alberta public sector pension plans, endowment funds, and government accounts representing all Albertans. Our culture is defined by our core values: Excellence, Transparency, Humility, Integrity, and Collaboration.
Our success as an organization is as dependent on the growth of our people as it is our investments. We provide opportunity to our employees, embrace talent with new ideas and are committed to a culture of continuous learning.
|Are you interested in aligning with a growing, institutional investment firm with an international footprint? Do you consider it a privilege to hold and maintain the trust of stakeholders? If you have answered yes to either of these questions the role of Chief Compliance might be just the opportunity you have been waiting for!
Acting as a source of expert compliance knowledge, the Chief Compliance Officer will report on compliance results and policy/governance matters to the CEO, Executive Committee, Audit Committee, Governance Committee and Board. The successful Chief Compliance Officer will also support the Chief Legal Officer in responding to alleged violations of rules, regulations, policies etc. including whistleblower reports, conducting investigations and directing or recommending remedial action. As required, the successful candidate will represent AIMCo externally, including meeting with the government, clients and consultants; engaging with relevant regulatory agencies to advocate on behalf of AIMCo and its clients; and communicating with peer organizations on matters of mutual interest. The Chief Compliance Officer will also act as the FOIP Coordinator responsible for managing AIMCo’s access and duties.
Responsibilities will include:
• Leading the strategy and planning for governance and compliance initiatives across AIMCo, with reference to AIMCo’s corporate strategy, risks and business legislative, regulatory and case law developments affecting AIMCo and its clients and the implementation of those initiatives.
• Directing, coaching and mentoring 9 direct and indirect reports, and ensuring employee development supports succession plans and the future needs of the compliance and legal departments.
In 12 months, success will be based on the Chief Compliance Officer’s ability to provide independent and unbiased oversight of the management of AIMCo’s compliance with laws, regulations, guidelines and policies.
|Our Ideal Candidate|
|• Holds a Law degree (LLB or JD) from an accredited University and eligibility for membership in the Law Society of Alberta and /or MBA or accounting or finance credentials would be ideal.
• 9+ years’ working knowledge and experience in compliance and or within regulatory and / or corporate /commercial law practice.
• 5+ years’ experience at AIMCo or similar organization focusing upon investment transactions, enterprise risk tolerances and governance/statutory landscape.
• Applicable tax legislation, regulation and policy knowledge.
• International business transaction conventions and execution.
• Regulatory principles and market sector knowledge applicable to specific asset classes.
• Government relations and understanding of the political dimensions of regulation.
• Functional knowledge of derivatives and derivative execution and administration.
• A deep understanding of fundamental finance and capital structuring principles, accounting principles and macroeconomics.
• Holds significant experience coaching, managing and mentoring employees in a dynamic and evolving work environment.
• Leverages the ability to get results through working with other internal and external partners and ability to strengthen relationships.
|NOTE: Final candidates will be asked to undergo a security screening, which includes a credit bureau and criminal record investigation, the results of which must be acceptable to AIMCo.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
For more information and to apply, visit the careers section of AIMCo's website at www.aimco.alberta.ca